Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Freedom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody ask me a few days ago how long I have been riding motorcycles and then they asked me why I ride. Well, with those two questions, I can talk about for days. But, I have been riding since before I was ripe on the vine. At the young age of 11 years old, I had my first motorcycle. A mind blowing Honda 50 and it was BLUE TOO. Back in "the day", things were not as they are today. Anyway, I shifted gears and what I call FREEDOM OF THE ROAD.

Freedom is often cited as an attraction, but compared to driving a car, riding a motorcycle offers freedom from the cage of our four-wheeled cars and trucks. When a car goes into a turn, it leans to the outside of a corner, trying to maintain its proper direction of travel. A motorcycle leans into a corner. This may not sound like much, but until you've experienced both you can't understand the superior grace and simplicity of a bike. Just taking a corner becomes a symphony of precision movements instead of being throw to the outside, you meet the road and are driven through the corner. You seem to be working in harmony with the road instead of fighting it.

Once you get free of your steel cage you begin to experience a broader existence of all this world has going on. My nose was quickly introduced to skunk roadkill last week and the smell of being behind a diesel exhaust was not pleasurable, but bread baking and plants blooming made the dielse go away ratherly quickly. You feel the thousand tiny raindrops some afternoons and your skin will feel the gently warming temperature as you crest a hill and drop to floor below.
Being on a bike means you are no longer locked behind the wheel that is disconnected from nature. It's a freedom that is hard to describe.

Being on a motorcycle, is very similar to being a follower of Christ. By following the path Christ laid out for us while negoitating each hill and curve with precision. Just like leaning into a curve on your motorcycle when the road takes a new twist and turn is very similar to leaning on Christ when our life takes a turn. Being on the open road and experiencing the moment is very similar to the freedom we have in Christ that even though we struggle with life, WE WIN in the long run.

till next time,
tc
romans 5:1

No comments: