Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Distracted

Last night, I intended to spend much of the evening reading and studying my Bible.
Instead, I spent much of it surfing the Internet, adding files and programs to my new laptop. There's not anything wrong with that, but my time could definitely have been spent better.

I was beating myself up a bit this morning about not following through on what I intended to do last night, when these verses came to mind:The unfailing love of the LORD never ends!
By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin a fresh each day. (Lamentations 3:22-23)

How encouraging to be reminded that today is a fresh start. Just because I didn't do what I intended to do yesterday, that does not mean that today will be the same case.

I don't know about you, but I often need that reminder, not only for times when I don't accomplish what I intend, but especially when I sin. I doubt that any of us wake up each morning intending to fail or to sin. I usually pray during my commute to my day job, and a routine prayer is that I'd guard my words at work.

I have every intention of speaking only words of joy and encouragement to my co-workers throughout the day. And yet it's probably safe to say that I have yet to make it through a single day without saying something sarcastic or complaining or engaging in gossip or saying something I just shouldn't say. BUT, if I focus on how I goofed up at work, it would be very easy to convince myself that I'll never change, and why should I bother trying to watch what I say.
That is exactually about what my message is tonight. Messing up & staying messed up.

But as Jeremiah said in Lamentations, the Lord's mercies are new every day. Indeed, every moment that we seek forgiveness, we are given a fresh start!Do not be discouraged by what you did or didn't do yesterday.

So today let's all rejoice and take heart in knowing that today is a fresh start for you and for me.


till next time,
peace out
tc
romans 5:1

No comments: