Wednesday, July 20, 2011







In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
Ephesians 1:7

A contradiction in the bible. Not in my opinion. We usually don’t think of lavish and wisdom in the same breath or at least I don't. Lavish means you are giving more than is necessary or giving it freely. In this tight economy, when we think of wisdom, we think of using the bare minimum. To lavish seems to be wasting, and wasting is not wise. Especially when God is lavishing something on us. From every perspective, it seems like we’re a bad investment. What can we actually give God that He doesn't already have? It can be easy to feel like we are a waste of God’s resources or grace when we constantly keep blowing it. But that’s not how God sees it. God in effect says to every one of us: No. You’re a good investment from my perspective. I think you’re worth it. I’m not lavishing my grace on you because I don’t know how bad you are. I’m lavishing my grace on you because of how good I am. And because I know how great you can be. And I’m doing it with all wisdom.”

God doesn’t waste anything. There isn’t one drop of blood or one forgiven sin He wishes He could have back. Even when it applies to you. There will never be a moment where God has second thoughts about whether He should have lavished His grace on humanity. Even when it applies to you. The reason God’s pouring out on us looks like foolishness is because all we see is who we were and who we are. God, on the other hand, already knows what we will become. In this life and in the next. And He knows that the only way we’re going to become it is by His GRACE. His continuing grace. And that’s why He’s wise to give it. I admit that I am truly unworthy of anything from God, but I am so so glad he sees otherwise.



Till next time

tc

No comments: